Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists

Helping people injured in accidents recover compensation

When you’ve been injured in a car accident caused by a negligent driver, that driver’s insurance company is ultimately responsible for paying the damages. But what if the driver doesn’t have enough insurance, or no insurance at all? Car accident attorney Jon R. Hawk can help.

In Georgia, all drivers are required to have car insurance with minimum amounts of liability coverage. Insurers must also offer you the option of adding uninsured or underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. It is not required to have this coverage, but Macon law firm Jon R. Hawk, Sr., LLC recommends that all drivers carry it.

UM/UIM coverage can help protect you in certain situations. It can help you recover compensation if you are injured in an accident caused by:

  • A driver who has no insurance
  • A driver who has insurance, but not enough to cover your damages
  • A hit-and-run driver who can’t be identified

In each of these situations, your insurance company would pay at least some of the damages. If the at-fault driver was underinsured, you can file a claim for damages up to the coverage limit on that driver’s policy.

If you have more than one vehicle on your policy, another option may be stacking. Depending on the type of UI/UIM coverage you have, this would allow you access to more compensation.

If you don’t have UI/UIM coverage on your policy, recovering compensation becomes more difficult. You can file a lawsuit directly against the at-fault driver, but the driver may not have enough assets to pay you. But there may be other options for recovering compensation, and Jon can help you find them.

An experienced attorney on your side

Even with UM/UIM coverage, the insurance company may try to reduce or deny your claim. Jon knows how insurance companies operate and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. While being involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver poses more challenges, in some cases Jon can still negotiate with the insurance companies to get you the help you need.

Jon knows how an accident can disrupt your life. He has dedicated his practice to helping people injured in accidents get the help they need so they can recover as much as possible. If you’ve been hurt in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, talk to Jon Hawk. Contact us for a free consultation.